Minimalist Baby



Having a minimalist baby sounds amazing to me! As few toys as possible, save money every year for birthdays and Christmas, having a child that uses their imaginations instead toxic toys, keeping your home semi-clean, and so many reasons more, but how to start.

It starts with me. There was a song my kindergarten teacher would play for my class that gets stuck in my head every once in a while, " Monkey see, Monkey Do". I realized that if I want to raise children that have imagination, creativity, innovation, and freedom from worldly possessions I need to not be a hypocrite. I always learned so much more from the teachers that were "practicing what they were preaching" as it were. I am definitely not the best example of a minimalist, but I sure am working towards a simplier life which in itself is a life's work.

Steps that I took and are taking to do that are:

1. Apologize (Ask for Forgiveness)
I had a hypocritical spirit and I was trying to impose my ideas on my child that I was not willing to do myself yet. I asked God for forgiveness and my baby (even though she may not understand yet I felt like I needed to at least say it). I also talked to my husband about it so we could be on the same page to get started. Once my heart was right, I could move on.

2. My Closets First (ALL of them)
Clothes for me were the obvious place to start. Since I don't have "toys", I certainly have clothes. The next closet I went to was our bathroom closet. I sorted out old medicine, old, unused or damaged makeup, old hair dyes, chemicals, "travel items" (no planned trips coming up so toss them), etc. Next closet (or more like cupboards) was the kitchen. I sorted out plastic Tupperware ( I have glass sets now so I threw out the old); I gave away old mugs, etc. Also, mason jars that I didn't want to throw away, I used for rice, quinoa, flour and other dry food items so that I could at least save space. Combine to downsize - aka "keep the suitcase or jar but use it for storage". And so on through my house.

3. Organize
I went to dollar store and bought a ton of plastic storage bins (all I could afford). I organized my closet with them. I used jute baskets I already had in the bathroom, and separate things by category. I organized my kitchen cabinets, etc. Everything has a place, and everything is in its place. If not, it goes.

4. Clean
If it's too much to clean, is too much of a hassle or time waster, keep down sizing. If you can't be a good steward of what you have, don't get anything else. That goes for home size, quantity of items, etc. I can thoroughly clean my entire house in an hour to two hours - aka one nap time. That leaves room for a lot of other things to do. Cooking at home (not eating out), napping/catching up from the night before, working out, working at home, etc.


It is still an ongoing, lifelong project since I always seem to get new stuff to replace the stuff I just tossed. My mom always taught me that "if you get one new shirt, give away two" or as I put it "Get something, Give something"- it's a good concept to live by.
Side Note: I took a week to do it. Pre-baby I could have done it in one day, but the more time I gave myself to purge, the more thorough I was.

NOW, after I did that, on to having a minimalist baby or at least my attempt on it so far.

1. Baby Registry
Everything on my registry had a specific use, was multipurpose, and/or I REALLY liked it. Examples Coconut oil works as diaper rash cream, baby lotion, stretch marks lotion, and a billion other things so I didn't have those things on my registry. Instead, I just bought a $10 quart of coconut oil. Convertable mini crib (infant to child), stroller and carseat that are adjustable and good for long term use. Baby carrier that works from infant to approx 2 years old. I decided to choose things I liked or had good quality so they would last. I also had a pretty large, yet super simple co-ed baby shower barbeque and diaper raffle in order to cover most of the items. (Definitely a good idea for first baby - probably won't repeat for second baby since I got a lot of the items I will need.)

2. Baby's Nursery
As of right now, I live in a one bedroom apartment with my husband and baby girl. So low on space to say the least. This mini crib has been awesome! Our dresser was on off the side of the road which I painted and works for storage for her clothes, works as a changing table, and side table for the Ikea Poang rocking chair and collapsible stool. I also put some command hooks on it and hang my diaper bag and baby carrier from the side of it. That's it. Just a lamp (on the dresser) and a couple wall decorations, but no other furniture.

3. Baby Clothes
I got a LOT of clothes. People did not buy what was on my registry, but got me newborn clothes instead. Keep only what you really, really like and give the rest to someone who needs it or cosign them for $$$ to save for baby items later. You will be doing laundry enough any way so just wash what you do have and reuse it. Hand wash it if you have to or better yet let baby run around in a diaper while it's still acceptable. Baby doesn't need an outfit for every day of the month. As an adult I keep wearing the same outfits I like, and I do the same for my baby I've found. I may use only 5 onesies and 2 nice outfits and thats it, and that's more than she needs honestly. I then have 4 or 5 pjs but that's just what people gave me. As a newborn, she had one pj and I just reused it. As a newborn too, she didn't even wear clothes except a diaper and a swaddle. Then for the other clothes I have that she can't fit into yet, I chose only the ones I really liked of hand-me-downs and even new items people gave me. If you are not able to get hand-me-downs or gifts, and you are going to buy your own clothes any way wait until your baby is closer to the age and go to a second hand shop and buy the outfit you like for a $1 or wait for a sale at the store.

4. Bath Items
I use a Puj Flyte. It works great! I had a larger tub from my baby shower, but I ended up returning it because I did not have room for it (again, one bedroom apartment). But with this little Puj, I wash her in the bathroom sink with it, and when she is able to sit up on her own, I will just wash her in the sink with out it. I use a plain cup to wash her with. I give her a bath once a week so I have 3 hooded towels, but I only use this one, and it gets washed before the next bath. (For the record, no she does not stink - her skin is incredibly soft and clear and her hair is not oily - I will wipe her with a wet wash cloth after a big spit up).

5. Toys
For bath toys I have just a couple. For other toys, I have 3 empty drawers in the dresser our TV sits on in our living room for toys and books. If they don't fit in there, they go. (My husband and I also get 3 drawers for our books and items). For a play mat, I have a lambskin mat that my baby LOVES (more than being held or carried sometimes). For a rocker/bassinet/sit here while I go to the toilet, is Fischer Price Rock N Play Sleeper, but I may replace it at some point with this Fischer Price swing ("Get something, Give something" concept). Still considering it though.

6. Food Items
Keep it simple. Keep it reusable. And hand wash items and reuse them again (ex: plates, utensils, silicone bib, etc.) For bottles, buy what you  need and if you realize you are not using an item - give it away. (Same concept for my kitchen items).

But that is so far what I've done to have a "minimalist" baby. Of course, we could live on an island with absolutely nothing, and it is possible, but I'm not going for that "minimalist", and I'm thankful I don't have to be. I just believe in having few high quality things that I like and will take care of but are useful and simple.

Comments

Popular Posts